Re: DIY recommendations requested

There are several good systems available to DIYers that can fill
the bill.  Ademco's Vista-20P is reliable, fairly easy to set up
and program and has a varied array of transmitters.  It's a
hybrid system, meaning you can use wired or wireless sensors for
any points you need to protect.

Napco's P3200 is more flexible than the Ademco system, but
programming is a bit more involved.  The up side is Napco's
software is free and fairly easy to use with a little guidance.
Napco also makes a P1632 which is similar to the P3200 but a
little cheaper built and a little cheaper to buy.  Like the
Ademco Vista-20P, the Napco Gemini panels are hybrid systems.
You can use wired or wireless sensors.

Paradox makes an all-wireless system called Magellan which
several of my DIY clients have used though I haven't tried it
myself.  The down side to the Magellan is it's an all-in-one.
The control panel is the keypad.  One hit with a hammer and it's
gone.  The same is true of most other all-in-one solutions.
These are mainly used for apartments where the landlord might not
permit a DIYer to install a hard-wired system.

DSC's Power832 is another hybrid that's popular among some here
though the company's quality control seems to have gone downhill
since Tyco took them over.

I sell these systems to DIYers in my online store at
www.bassburglaralarms.com in case you're interested.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.