Re: Phone Jack Locations?

shady wrote:
> "Frank Olson" wrote...
>
>>All my customers know the reason for the RJ jack.  They never touch it.
>

> You must have some smart customers there.

Nope.  Just ones that have been educated properly.  :-)

> I've actually had someone from
> Telus take the jack from a Lynx and use it as a new jack in another room.

<sigh>

> Mind you the system wasn't being monitored at the time, but still, it's not
> even the right jack for a phone line.  Come to think of it, I haven't
> installed any systems for any of the local Telus employees... should be an
> interesting day if I ever do.

The guys I work with frequently all know how to install an "eight
position jack".

> Back to the customers though, many of ours lose their manual in the first
> week (or day).

I have customers that can pull out the manual from the refridgerator
they purchased in 1963.  I have one guy that's kept all the owners
manuals for every Ford (plus one Edsel) he's owned since 1949.

> Some, who have keyfobs, don't remember their own code
> anymore.

I can't remember my own home phone number...  It's "2" on my cell
phone's speed dialer.  :-)

> Others who have keyfobs insist on getting them but then leave them
> hanging with the rest of the keys and forget about them.  We get dozens of
> calls when daylight savings time begins and ends on changing the clock.
> Keypad emergency buttons?  Where?  I've always screwed the panels shut
> instead of locking them, so I haven't had too many problems with lost keys.
> Although I have the professional grade universal panel key anyway.

Is that the long silver one with the big rubber handle on the end??
Mine says "KLEIN" on the side!!  :-)

> I kind of wish DSC would have videos included with all their kits.

Make your own.  It's not that hard.  We've done that and used the
"upgraded keypads" in it as well...  It's an excellent marketing tool.
I don't know how many fixed English keypads I've upgraded to the custom
LCD.  You try to sell 'em to the customer initially and most will say "I
just need a basic security system, not something really fancy to look
at", or "Money's a bit tight right now.  Give me the basics and we'll go
from there".  After they see the video a few times, about 95% will call
back and want to upgrade.  Works great for selling "perimeter
protection" as well.  If you *show* someone how something works they'll
*see* the benefit much more readily.  We've started leaving the video
(on VHS, DVD or CD) as part of the sales presentation.  The sales guys
love it.

> Sort of
> like Simon did/does.  We usually have our sales guy go back after a few days
> for any questions/comments/more training/etc.  But from a customer's
> perspective, I imagine that video could be more helpful for simple
> questions.

It is, believe me.

>>You've recognized that your customer's security can be easily compromised
>>by a single "snip" at the side of the house.  Use this in a newsletter to
>>the rest of your customers.
>

> I'm not sure that reminding a couple thousand people of this kind of thing
> would be a great idea.  A few of these people seem like they're getting a
> system just to get a better idea of how it works.  That's about 3 steps away
> from using that info to break into another place.

That's been often debated here as well.  Most of the perps are so strung
out on drugs these days, they figure yanking the interior siren box off
the wall means they've disabled the system.  When the "men in blue" show
up they're still in the house searching for loot.

> Fortunately, in many newer homes, the demarc box is somewhere inside the
> house.

The Telus nimrods must be smarter in your end of town.