Re: Phone Jack Locations?

"Frank Olson" wrote...

> All my customers know the reason for the RJ jack.  They never touch it.

You must have some smart customers there.  I've actually had someone from
Telus take the jack from a Lynx and use it as a new jack in another room.
Mind you the system wasn't being monitored at the time, but still, it's not
even the right jack for a phone line.  Come to think of it, I haven't
installed any systems for any of the local Telus employees... should be an
interesting day if I ever do.

Back to the customers though, many of ours lose their manual in the first
week (or day).  Some, who have keyfobs, don't remember their own code
anymore.  Others who have keyfobs insist on getting them but then leave them
hanging with the rest of the keys and forget about them.  We get dozens of
calls when daylight savings time begins and ends on changing the clock.
Keypad emergency buttons?  Where?  I've always screwed the panels shut
instead of locking them, so I haven't had too many problems with lost keys.
Although I have the professional grade universal panel key anyway.

I kind of wish DSC would have videos included with all their kits.  Sort of
like Simon did/does.  We usually have our sales guy go back after a few days
for any questions/comments/more training/etc.  But from a customer's
perspective, I imagine that video could be more helpful for simple
questions.

> You've recognized that your customer's security can be easily compromised
> by a single "snip" at the side of the house.  Use this in a newsletter to
> the rest of your customers.

I'm not sure that reminding a couple thousand people of this kind of thing
would be a great idea.  A few of these people seem like they're getting a
system just to get a better idea of how it works.  That's about 3 steps away
from using that info to break into another place.

Fortunately, in many newer homes, the demarc box is somewhere inside the
house.