Phone Jack Locations?

I'm curious about what the experts around here have to say about having the
phone jack either in or on the panel.  Or, I guess, not using one at all.

I'm not sure if it's a UL requirement to have it easily available, but it
seems like a huge hole in the system's integrity.

For example, over Christmas we had a customer who had his phone line cut.
Probably only the third time it's happened in almost 15 years for us.  I
went there and expected to see damage to the demarc box outside.  But no,
they cut the wire coming out of the jack instead (unplugging too easy?).
Obviously it was someone familiar enough with the place to know where to
find the (not so well hidden) panel.  But this seems to be a good case where
the jack should have been in the panel instead.

I've always been told that the jack should be outside so it can be unplugged
by the customer if the panel is going psycho and keeps taking over the phone
line for no reason.  I doubt 5% of our customers (residential or commercial)
know about this, many don't even know where to find the panel.