Re: Lumber shortages circa 1920... for those who spew nonsense under the guise of being "knowledgeable".

"About one-half of the timber left is in the three Pacific Coast
states, and over 61 per cent is west of the Great Plains."

That doesn't sound like Texas to me.

> There were 27,000 recorded forest fires in 1919, burning a
> total of 8¼ million acres. During the preceding year, 25,000
> fires burned over 10½ million acres of forest land. An
> addi­tional large acreage was burned each year, of which
> no record could be obtained.

Yes, we know there were forest fires before George Bush came
along to destroy the rest of the country.  What that does not say
is that there were severe lumber shortages... because there
weren't... between WWI and II.

> According to estimates published in American Forestry, Sept.
> 1920: "The bulk of the original supplies of yellow pine in the
> South will be gone in ten years, and within seven years 3,000
> manufacturing plants will go out of business."

So, when the OP's home was under construction, there was a
prediction that 10 years hence there would be a severe shortage
of yellow pine.  And this affected construction of his home in
what manner?

> Going back to the middle of the last century, we can dis­tinctly
> trace the history of the lumber of the country at ten year
> intervals by showing the relative importance of the several
> pro­ducing regions.

That was about as pertinent to the question at hand as an olsonic
comment.  Eschew obfuscation.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass