Re: How much effort should I put to hard-wire?

> I used to dread installing systems in pre-WW2 homes here in the midwest,
> because the lumber shortages during WW1 and WW2 caused some really
> interesting situations vis-a-vis concrete, block, stone, slabs, etc., not to
> mention the challenges and dangers of working in tight places around
> knob-and-tube wiring, older plumbing, etc.

How did lumber shortages during World War II affect pre-WWII
homes?  I wasn't aware that there was a lumber shortage during
either war.  My folks have spoken of shortages of fuel, rubber
and lots of other petro-stuff but not about lumber.  Two of my
great uncles built a thriving lumber business in Dover, NJ during
the first world war.  They also built lots of houses, apartments
and commercial structures, many of which are still standing
today.  All were wood frame buildings.

You might be right.  There may have been a lumber shortage, but
from what I've seen (mainly in southern New England) homes were
built pretty much the same during the 1920's as they had been in
the 1910's and continued so until the mid-40's.

As to knob and tube wiring, most of it has been replaced decades
ago.  There's still some around but it can easily be avoided.
Just keep low voltage wires clear of it the same as you would do
with modern Romex cable.  Much had been said on that subject in
earlier threads.

Plumbing in older homes presents no more of a problem to low
voltage work than it does in newer places.  In fact, the
oversized holes used to run old-fashioned plumbing systems
sometimes come in handy when running new cable.

> Depending on how much experience you have wiring an
> older home, wireless would seem to be a straightforward
> approach with the least amount of hassle invloved...

Wireless is always easier to install.  The problems with wireless
have already been enumerated in this thread.

> At the very least, go with a hybrid system, so that you
> can hardwire what is easily accessible, and use wireless
> for the difficult stuff.

On that we agree.  However, since the vast majority of new
systems are hybrid capable, the DIYer can select a system based
on it's other capabilities.  Ademco, ITI, Napco and several other
manufacturers all make decent systems capable of using wireless
and wired sensors as needed.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass