Re: Safe Room Door Lock

Robert L Bass wrote:
> I forced a 600-lb lock open with my shoulder once and I'm only of
> average strength -- not exactly a weight lifter.  :^)   It really
> wasn't all that tough.

Strength has nothing to do with it ......... if you weigh 600 pounds.

>They're not intended to keep bad guys out
> -- more for limiting movement of personnel.  If there's a wall or
> other rigid, parallel structure nearby, a strong man could open
> the door using leg pressure.  It's surprising the amount of
> pressure even an average adult can deliver in a leg press.

You can't even hold up your own weight so I guess that leaves YOU out
of the equation.

> Consider the leverage of a 12" long screwdriver with 1/2"
> inserted into the space between the door and the frame.  There's
> a 23/1  mechanical advantage.  The thief only has to apply about
> 30-35 lbs of force.  Note: If it were linear motion the figure
> would be just over 26 pounds, but the screwdriver is describing a
> circular arc so the required force in a tangential direction
> increases somewhat.
>
> If the door opens away from the lock it's even easier -- take a
> run and hit it with your shoulder.  I weigh just over 200 pounds.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Why don't you show us those wedding pictures again tubo. Would "JUST
OVER" include up to 300 pounds???

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA!

> At a 15 mph sprint that's more than enough force to pop a 600-lb
> lock.

The only way you could get up to 15 MPH would be rolling down hill for
a block and a half, in your "to fat to walk", battery powered chair.

Keep on ..... keep on making a fool of yourself Hamburger man.