Re: Safe Room Door Lock

> Gotta do a safe-room door lock...I'm thinking a 600lb mag lock? The door
> will be semi hidden and swing towards the opening person/side. No other
> hardware will be visible on the door...it's in a MBR closet and will have
> shelves on it. Heavy wooden door.

Mag locks are fine for safe rooms as long as you provide lots of
backup power and a panic release for the magnet.  Also, assuming
this is to protect the homeowners in the event of a break-in, I
would use a 1200 lb lock.  A good size screwdriver can easily
deliver 600 lbs of leveraged force to pry the door open.
Recommend to the client that they leave a cell phone inside the
room at all times.

I had a client who used an old fallout shelter in his basement as
a safe room.  Turns out nasties from the inner city were more of
a threat than the USSR.  His room had a manually operated bar
lock across the door.  Whoever built the place was really into
preparedness.  There were shelves with provisions for something
like 90 days for two or three people, a toilet, a hand-pumped
well and stuff.  When my customer bought the house the previous
owner left everything intact.

BTW, did you see the movie "Safe Room?"

--

Regards,