Re: EOL's

On 19 Feb 2006 15:43:59 -0800, "Al Colombo"
<securitymission@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Wrong again, Al.  You asked me to write the story and I said I
> > would try to find time.
>
> Ha, no one at SDM would ever have asked you to write a story for them,
> least of all myself.  Don't flatter yourself, you were only asked to do
> a short sidebar and you know it.

Virtually everything you have written for years has been a
collection of things others in the trade wrote for you.  That's
your stock method.  Everyone knows it.  There's nothing wrong
with that, Al.  It's called "reporting" but it does not make you
an expert -- only a reporter.

> From what I've read here in this thread, you don't
> have the technical know how...

You're the one who came to me asking for help.  Saying you were
only doing so to give me "exposure" in a magazine that is only
read by competitors is less than honest, Al.

> You did not do the sidebar because you don't have
> the knowledge to do it...

And yet you needed my help.  Interesting.

> If you had 24 years of experience before I got into
> the business in 1974, it sure doesn't show by your
> pie-in-the-sky statement about EOLs never changing
> their value...

Again you're misquoting me.  Since I've pointed this out several
times already I can only assume you are doing so deliberately.
What was that you were saying about journalistic integrity?

> That is one of the most silly things I have ever heard.

You're the one who said it.  Rear my post.  That is clearly not
what I said.

>> You made up that "conversation".  It never happened.  I
>> would have been glad to write your article for you at the time
>> but unfortunately I could not.  I tried to notify you.  Whether
>> you got the message in time or not I don't know but the comments
>> you have made here are simply lies.
>
> Right, and pigs fly for sure...

Perhaps in your mind they do.

> Those who have known me for a long time
> know this story well...

Correction:  Those who have heard you repeat the same lie more
than once might believe it.  That doesn't change the fact that
it's a lie.

> I rule the day I ever asked you to do that sidebar...

I think you mean "rue the day."  Rue is a word meaning regret.
Malapropism is another word with which you should familiarize
yourself.  :^)

But I digress.  You asked for my assistance because you needed
help.  I told you I'd do it if I could find the time.
Unfortunately, circumstances did not permit.  Don't make the
mistake of assuming that had anything to do with my diminishing
respect for you as an author or as a human being.  You have been
the author of that, unlike most of the things in your column.

> because ever since then you have dogged my every
> movement in this news group...

No, Al.  I have mostly ignored your posts.  Most of the threads
you start begin with, "I'm doing an article on [whatever].  Would
anyone here like to write about their experiences with
[whatever].  Those posts, wherein you solicit others to do the
work, are of no interest to me so I usually ignore them.

Sometimes you post good advice.  When you do there's nothing to
comment on.  Other times (like in this thread) you make incorrect
statements.  When I feel inclined to do so I correct you.  To
date you've never acknowledged a mistake, though you've certainly
made some.  That, along with the personal insults you post in
response to disagreement, is indicative of a very weak ego.
Perhaps you're not so sure of your credentials as you'd like
folks to believe.  What kind of engineering degree was it you
claim to have achieved?  An "engineer's assistant?"  Is that
anything like a dental assistant -- someone who hands tools to
the professional but is not allowed to use them?

> Everything these fellows say about you is evidently true.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  None of these fellows has ever met me,
except for one.

> Tell you what, I challenge you to find ONE person who
> has ever written ANY story for me and I put my name
> on it.  Go ahead Robert, find someone and present them
> to this news group...

Most of your articles are nothing more than quotes of what others
have said or written for you.  I'm in Brazil for Carnaval at the
moment and my collection of SDM isn't with me.  If I think of it
when I get home I'll be delighted to accommodate you.

> You won't be able to do that.  You may find plenty of
> people I've quoted, you may find one or two that I
> have given a chance to gain exposure by writing a short
> sidebar...

Heh, heh, heh.  One or two?  :^)

> but you will not find one person who ever wrote a story
> for me and I put my name on it as if I wrote it.  I always
> give people who help me credit for what they do...

I never said you didn't.  It is you who have tried to
mischaracterize the level of help you seek from industry
professionals.

> Now, you can chat with Ron Nelson at SDM and I'm
> sure he'll tell you that I managed his work, reviewed
> and edited his stories for many years, you can talk
> with Brad Shipp and he'll be able to tell you the same,
> or Jim Kelly, and each of them had their byline on
> what they wrote...

Ron Nelson is a fine guy.  I always liked him.  I've met Brad a
couple of times though I doubt he would recall (I'm not all that
impressive :))

Never met Jim Kelly.  The fact that you worked with them at a
magazine doesn't make you any better or worse.  Nice job of name
dropping, though.

> No, you will not find anyone who has ever written a
> story for me and SDM, or now SSI put my name on it.

The move to SSI was IMO a mistake.  SDM, while obviously an
industry advertising-funded trade rag, has always been head and
shoulders better than SSI.

> That is the most silly thing I have ever heard.
> You should stand back and listen to yourself.

Um, USENET is a text medium.  Do you hear the messages here?

> You are a sad little man, Robert...

Actually, I'm quite happy and (while nowhere near your girth)
most folks would not consider me little.  :^)

> and I'm not going to waste any more of my time bantering
> back and forth with you.  You can say what you will.

You said the same thing several messages ago.  Yet here you are.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.