Re: EOL's

> No Robert, the tolerance of a resistor applies to the percentage that
> it may deviate from it's rating...

No, Al.  The percentage of deviation is a manufacturing issue.
The resistor will remain at whatever it was when it was made for
time immemorial.  Tolerance is not an indicator of the resistor's
propensity to change value over time (as you originally stated).

> And then all the other issues I mentioned can apply.

No, Al.  The issue where you first stumbled was your
understanding (or rather your lack thereof) of what the tolerance
is.  Tolerance is an indication of the greatest amount that the
resistor may differ from its stated value when it is made.

> Carbon will change over time, especially when
> subjected to heat and humidity.

The heat needed to significantly alter the value of a carbon film
resistor would be sufficient to ignite the house.  As to
humidity, that's another area you don't seem to understand.
Carbon film resistors are not absorbent.  The shell is sealed.
Humidity won't affect the inside of the resistor because it isn't
exposed.

> The tolerance applies to the percentage of deviation from
> the value shown on the resistor...

At the time of manufacture -- NOT over the lifetime of the
resistor in a circuit.

> You know what I meant...

I know what you think you mean.  I also know you're completely
wrong about tolerance.  I suggest you study the matter a while.
Then come back and correct yourself.

Of course, you can also take the ASA-standard approach and make
up "anecdotal evidence" of non-existent field experience with
ever-changing resistors, punctuated with personal insults and the
usual ASA stupidity.  If you're unsure how to proceed with that
technique, contact Olson.  It's his area of expertise.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.