Re: X10? Any good? Need some advice.

> Well, all I can say is, this newsgroup is open to everyone,
> not just people who install security systems.

That is 100% true.  Anyone is welcome to post here.  You don't
need to be an installer.  Heck, one of the regular poster (me)
quit installing for a living several years ago and another
(Olson) never installed anything.

> For those of us who are not in the professional installer
> category, and who have a little ability with electronic
> hardware (I have built dozens of computer networks for
> myself and my relatives and neighbors), the X10 system
> is the way to go...

If it works for you, no problem.  Others here, including myself,
have had less satisfying experience with it.  Bear in mind that
when one installs a professional security system, be it CCTV,
burglar or fire alarm, the customer expects it to function as
intended 100% of the time.  When someone installs an X10 camera,
it is usually understood that the device is "consumer" grade and
may not perform to the same level.

If the X10 device does what you want it to do, the price is
acceptable and it doesn't cause you too many headaches, go right
ahead and use it.

> The X10 system is a good design and will do the job if
> properly installed.  Not only that, but the purchase cost
> is minimal and there is no monthly fee for the rest of
> your life.

That is true of many systems you can buy and install yourself,
including "professional" grade cameras, burglar and fire alarms.

> Anyway, I am a retired engineer and just want to save
> money, and whether you want to admit it or not, the
> X10 hardware is just as reliable as any security hardware
> made. It does the job.

My experience with X10 hardware differs somewhat from yours.  If
the system satisfies your security needs, that is all that
matters.  Best of luck with it.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.