Re: Exxis security monitor model EO5214QC

Hi Nick
I got a chance to work on this monitor this afternoon. My description
of the problem was based on what the customer told me without trying it
out first, I should have confirmed the problem and been more specific.
Anyway when I plugged it in it made a squealing sound like the power
supply was running off frequency. The HOT was good and there were no
obvious shorts anywhere. I ultimately found a bad 100uf electrolytic in
the SMPS. Now when you power up there is about a 2 second audible tone
like that from a piezo. During this time the front panel LED's all
light. After 2 seconds the lights go out. It looks like a self test
sequence to me but what do I know. Then pressing the momentary power
button causes the red LED next to it to stay on as long as you hold in
the button. The Quad light at this point is on too. When you let go of
the power button the red power light goes out and the quad stays on. At
this point you can press the other function buttons and cause those
lights to operate. The unit seems to be powered up but there is no HV.
The customer says that she never heard any type of tone when turning
this unit on in the morning. Could this be some kind of warning tone
letting me know that there are no cameras plugged in? And could this
thing be smart enough to inhibit the HV from firing up in this case?
Having never seen one of these things I don't know if all this is
normal behavior. Do I need to haul this back to the store and connect
it up to actually test it out? I appreciate any thoughts you may have.
Lenny Stein.