Re: X10? Any good? Need some advice.

I just finished installing an X10 system in my home. It seems to work very
well, is easy to install (no soldering or running of wires), and there is no
monthly fee. My system, which is wireless, consists of the main console plus
a half dozen door/window sensors, a couple of remote controls, several
motion sensors, a couple of lamp modules, and power horns. It also has the
ability to automatically telephone up to 4 different numbers and play a
pre-recorded message. Total cost was under $200.

The only actual work I had to do was to trim a couple of inches of the
woodwork on the window and door frames so that the 2 magnetic switch halves
of the door/window sensors could mount correctly. I used a Dremel tool for
the trimming. If your door or window woodwork is all flat, trimming will not
be necessary.

One word of caution. Do not purchase a security system from "safezones" on
Ebay. Delivery will be extremely slow, the guy will never answer your email,
and he will not post a feedback for you. I suggest that you purchase your
components (or a full system) directly from www.x10.com. Radio Shack
occasionally has some of the components, but it is a hit or miss
proposition.