Re: X10? Any good? Need some advice.

Jazzer wrote:
> Thanks!  Thats a great response.  I am looking to put a camera on a
> driveway and one in the front of my house.  I was thinking of putting
> motion detecting lights as well to help the cameras out if you think
> that would be helpful or would it just blow out the brights?  I have
> started looking into wireless 801.g network cameras.  they look a
> little more robust, and maybe that would work for me.  But im not sure
> what equitpment to start researching.  I dont want to spend more than
> 300-500 per camera, want something smallish (so its not super ugly on
> the house) but also want motion actived recording on my pc, and if i
> can log in remotely to view cameras, thats a plus but not required.
>
> Any tips you can give me to get me closer to finding the right hardware
> would be helpful.  Wireless is cool, but since i will have to run wires
> to it to power it, its not crucial.

I'd really rather suggest that you go to www.cctvforum.com.

In my opinion there are just too many variables that I personally
consider when I install CCTV systems. I just don't think I would be
able to expediently and totally explain all the things that I think you
should know and consider when choosing your equipment. I don't know how
much you know and if it is little, I'm sure that it'd take some time to
set you straight on what you may expect as compared to what you'll get.
For instance, one common misconception that laymen make, is that the
camera will see things the same way that you see things with your eyes.
People seem to forget that, unlike a camera, we have almost 180 degree
vision.We can look straight ahead, but we can concentrate on whats
happening off to the side without actually looking at it. Cameras can't
do that. I've had people tell me that they want a camera so they can
see their whole parking lot and be able to see the license plate
numbers on cars and the faces of people too. A person could easily do
that but it would be near and likely totally impossible for a camera to
do it. And also they seem to forget that they're  going to be looking
at this through a 14 or 17 inch window ( the TV monitor)

I use cameras that start (dealer cost) at about $300.00 up to$
5-600.00. Professionally installed (outdoors in this area), cameras go
for about $800 to $1000.00 each and that's without PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom)
control. Lenses are a big cost variable too.

Over at www.cctvforum.com there are some people who are more into the
retail type of systems and they'll be better able to help you.