Re: More VOIP/Digital Voice

Basically right on all counts ! But at the moment, the industry
(translation, you and I) still has to deal with VoIP in some workable
fashion. It's coming on like gangbusters and it's not going away ! Hit
and miss is no real solution as you say; however, you try telling that
to end users who can't (or more likely won't) see the problems as real.

I am hoping services such as www.lobenninc.com and others like that
will be able to solve the problem over the longer term. But if you
can't convince a client to leave a bloody Bell line in for the little
it costs each month, I doubt they'll spring for the $200 or so for the
on site TCPIP unit either. These units will have to be a LOT less
expensive than they are currently if clients are to seriously consider
them.  We either try to make it work with all the safeguards we can
muster (ie: daily tests, proper hookup procedures, UPS on all
vulnerable connection devices. limitations of liability, etc) or we
walk away from half a million customers. Back up options such as
Uplink, Tel-a-Link radio etc are certainly viable, but still too costly
for some segments of the market (ie: residential).

I realize I'm playing the devils advocate here, but it's not far off
the reality of the situation ! Might be, we're seeing another offshoot
of the cheapening of the security market by the mass marketers...no one
feels security is worth much.

As I see it, for the next while anyway, the industry is " between a
rock and a hard place"...

RHC