Re: ADT may come knocking...

tourman wrote:
*****
The lease is with the previous party, who will likely be on the hook
for the balance of the payments unless you assumed all the previous
liabilities (which you say you haven't, but I'd check with your lawyer
for sure). A contract is a contract though, and since ADT can't get
blood out of stone, they may come looking to you for the balance even
if they may have no real right to (again, check the contract).
*****

Well, I guess I'm thinking along the right lines.  I figured they may
try to intimidate me into assuming or extending the contract.  Not
gonna happen.  :-)

*****
IF they were smart, you could likely negotiate a deal with them to
assume the rest of the lease on a month to month basis, but somehow, I
don't think that will happen. Their primary interest, like most
companies, is to lock you into a long term agreement.
*****

Time to yank the Elk panel out of my house and stick it at the
business.  I'll just make my wife stand guard at home for a couple of
weeks while I schedule the install.  LOL!

*****
If that doesn't work, your next best bet might be to rip out the
hardware yourself and tell them to come get it. That way they can't
sabotage the wiring for the next company( although I've seen none of
that kind of unethical behaviour with ADT).
*****

I suppose I'm just being paranoid, but that's exactly what I feared.  I
guess there is a big gap between shoddy workmanship and malice.

*****
If the installation was so bad originally, make sure your next dealer
will spend the time to go over the system properly to ensure the new
system will work false alarm free in the future.
*****

I've kept my home systems relatively simple and had no false alarms.
I'm no pro, but it amazes me that we can have so many false alarms
without so much as a sign of interest from ADT.  I understand there may
be some tweaking on sensor placement or settings, but we even have a
surface mount door contact that opens because a change in air pressure
pulls the door tight against the jambs.  I guess they didn't do a
jiggle test.  :-)  I haven't pushed the issue with their support people
because I knew we'd be yanking their panel soon.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Chad Speer
Kansas City, MO