Re: ADT may come knocking...

Well, a lot depends upon the laws in your area, but a straight lease
generally means you don't own the equipment nor have any title to it
(end of lease buyout clause excepted). The lease is with the previous
party, who will likely be on the hook for the balance of the payments
unless you assumed all the previous liabilities (which you say you
haven't, but I'd check with your lawyer for sure). A contract is a
contract though, and since ADT can't get blood out of stone, they may
come looking to you for the balance even if they may have no real right
to (again, check the contract). IF they were smart, you could likely
negotiate a deal with them to assume the rest of the lease on a month
to month basis, but somehow, I don't think that will happen. Their
primary interest, like most companies, is to lock you into a long term
agreement. But it's worth a try - might also give you an idea of how
they would treat you in the future should you decide to stay with them.

If that doesn't work, your next best bet might be to rip out the
hardware yourself and tell them to come get it. That way they can't
sabotage the wiring for the next company( although I've seen none of
that kind of unethical behaviour with ADT). It has been my experience
locally that ADT is so huge and so bound by rules and regulations that
they have little ablity or desire to be flexible. That's partly why
they lose so much ongoing business to other companies. That and high
prices and lengthy service wait times (speaking for our area only)

If the installation was so bad originally, make sure your next dealer
will spend the time to go over the system properly to ensure the new
system will work false alarm free in the future. You don't want to
exchange one problem for another !

Good luck...

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products