ADT may come knocking...

First, let me thank the regulars for much indirect advice over the last
couple of years.  I've lurked with much success while installing and
maintaining systems on my current and previous homes.

My current situation is unusual in that we have purchased the assets of
an existing business, renegotiated a commercial lease in the same
space, and are operating a newly-formed company under the same trade
name as the former company.  This was done to effectively take over the
existing company without incurring any of its liabilities or
obligations.  Very neat, but...

The previous owner had not yet fulfilled the term of her lease with
ADT.  Because my wife was a manager of the existing business, we are
familiar with the very poor quality of the install.  We'll be looking
elsewhere for our security needs.

I have read here in the past that it is best to ignore the alarm
company's attempts to contact you regarding their equipment.  I did
this with our current home and, indeed, they eventually gave up.  I'm
not sure I'm comfortable with this approach on a business account that,
in their eyes, is still under contract.  Actually, it is under
contract, but not with us.  The previous owner no longer holds a lease
on the property and, again, we assumed none of her obligations.  I'm
sure that will cost her some money when they get it all straightened
out.

Ideally, I would like to work out a month to month arrangement with ADT
until we are able to arrange for a new install.  Does this seem
reasonable?  If not, should I box up their equipment and allow them to
retrieve it?  I can slap my home panel in there with some contacts on
the entry doors (no operable windows) in an afternoon as a stop-gap
measure until I can get the pros in.  I am very reluctant to allow ADT
to enter the premises to remove their own equipment.  The building is a
century old and I'm sure most of the wiring runs were there before this
latest install.  Who knows what they will pull!?

Thanks again for your expertise!

Chad Speer
Kansas City, MO