Re: Salesman Compensation

J Barnes wrote:
> I know this has come up here before but it never really gets answered.
>
> How much do you pay a salesman in this industry?  I am thinking about paying
> 1,000 per month plus commission, cell phone and car allowance.  The
> commission will be about 10-15% of the total sale amount.  What is everyones
> opinions on this?  And what is everyone else doing?
>
> James B

They have a choice of staying at $1800 a month and 5% commission, or
going on straight commission at 18% after six months.  They get a
company car, benefits, laptop and phone.  They get a performance bonus
on a regular basis.  This could be in the form of airfare and hotel to
some exotic local (Cancun or Hawaii), or the 32" plasma TV one of the
guys got just recently.  The first month they spend part of their time
in the field as an installer's helper.  They learn the finer points of
running wire and what it means to fish an outside wall.  Right now
they're all on straight commission (and doing well).