Re: Problem with ADT Security Company

The first contract you signed in 1998 likely had a renewal clause that
automatically renewed the contract for the same period of time once again
unless you took action sometime just prior to the end of the contract to
advise them (usually in writing) that you wish to cease dealing with them.
Check your original contract to see it this is the case. If it is, you are
likely stuck, and will have to buy the balance of the contract out.

This kind of thing is a clear example of how many companies abuse this long
term contract business. The first contract was entirely legitimate since you
were buying into the phony "free system" concept, and they make up the REAL
cost of the equipment and original labour in the inflated monitoring rate
over a guarantee term of so many months. However, hooking you into another
term simply because you failed to take action at the end of the original
term, while quite common in this industry, is certainly "opportunistic", and
borders on unethical business practices (IMO).

It always pays to remember, there is no free lunch. While these kinds of
companies make it easy to buy in, the cost of just about everything after
that is usually excessive. And this generally applies no matter which
company you are dealing with that markets this way.

Remember this experience and let it guide your actions when you choose
another alarm company....

R.H.Campbell
Home Security Metal Products
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada