Re: Magnum Alert 900 and Touch Tone Dialing

I agree even without the "long" term contract...any term contract. At least
my contract states that the condition of, or paying for a working
telecommunications connection is the client's responsibility...except if
they are also paying for Uplink...that's my responsibility since I maintain
ownership of the radios.

"R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
|I know your question was addressed to Bob, but I'm going to jump in here
| anyway. I would think, if the client signed a long term contract and THEN
at
| his initiative, got rid of his line, he would still be committed. Simply
| because the monitoring is no longer reliable (or possibly even functional)
| because of his getting rid of the land line, and going to VoIP, doesn't
| change his original contractual commitment one iota after the fact...
|
| I often have clients tell me when I refuse to hook them up over VoIP, that
| other companies promise to do so. Of that I have no doubt, but I always
| advise these people to refuse to sign a long term commitment with these
| companies. Why should they commit to any company long term, when the
company
| can't reliably commit to them that things will work (and continue to work)
| the way they are supposed to? I also suggest that they have the company
| program in daily tests, and tell the client to stay on top of these tests
| with the monitoring station (with or without the alarmco's involvement).
If
| you can't trust the alarmco to tell it to you straight up front, how can
you
| rely on them to follow through with you on "failure to communicate"
signals
| ?
|
| From my perspective, I simply won't compromise the clients system for the
| sake of a few bucks a month. Nor do I believe that the problem will ever
be
| "solved" to the level of reliability needed for an alarm system. But there
| will always be some companies that will hook them up for the additional
| revenue, whether it's reliable or not...so be it !!
|
| These guys should take a lesson from ADT who call it right on the
money.....

| RHC

| > Aside from the VoIP un-reliablility issue.
| >
| > Why would you think that the client had reasonable cause to breech a
| > contract, when the client changed something after the fact which causes
| > the
| > alarm to not function properly? Granted a reasonable alarmco will try to
| > make accomodations, but think about it...I rip my phone line out of my
| > house
| > so the alarm can't contact the CS...that's not a valid reason to claim
the
| > alarmco is not servicing me and terminate the agreement.
| >

| > "Bob Worthy" <securinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > |
| > | "Mike" <forest_test@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
| > out
| > touch

| > |
| > | Is this alarm company strictly a monitoring company or do they have
| > local
| > | service representation? If so, they should be able to support your
| > system.
| > | My advice would be to go back to them and get a bottom line answer. If
| > they
| > | cannot support your system, they cannot hold you to any agreement and
| > then
| > | find someone who can support it. Your situation needs to be addressed
by
| > | service technician with the proper tools. Secondly, consider keeping a
| > | basic, no frills regular phone line. There are to many questions about
| > the
| > | reliability of VOIP, when there are security issues, such as power
| > outages,
| > | loss of cable service, phone line configurations, modem relocation,
the
| > VOIP
| > | provider periodically downloading new formats and possibly even not
| > being
| > | able to connect to the real "911" emergeny service. When you loose
| > cable,
| > | you will loose telephone, but what the heck, you have a cell so it
isn't
| > | big deal, right? Well, you have lost your security, possibly fire, if
| > you
| > | have smokes attached and medical if there is an elderly person that
| > might
| > | need it. Cable is the last to get back on line in any kind of diaster.
| > Read
| > | your agreement with the provider and notice all of what they are
**not**
| > | responsible for, including your security requirements. All I can
| > invision,
| > | when these things pop up, is a bunch of guys sitting around with some
| > new
| > | found technology and all of a sudden six new companys are formed and
no
| > one
| > | has considered any of the down sides prior to offering it to the
public.
| > | have yet to see this marketed properly, but they sure spent some money
| > on
| > | the small printed disclaimers to protect themselves against all that
| > isn't
| > | said upfront in their advertising ie: loss of commuication or
emergency
| > | service. Keep a land line.
| > |
| > |