Re: Compass Software

"Joe Lucia" <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1129827445.203632.307000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Sure they do, they have explicit statements that the software is
intended
> > for professional dealers
>
> But they don't SECURE it as if they only want professionals to have it.
>  I could give one username and password out to ALL of my dealers and
> tell them not to tell anyone else and to only access their own accounts
> or the things they are competent enough to access, but they won't,
> regardless of my "explicit statement", therefore proper security is
> required if you only want "professional dealers" to use the resources
> you make available to everyone.  And I say "made available to everyone"
> because it obviously IS, password or not.

Okay now thats stretching it, because you can give anyone your login that
means THEY are not secure? How stupid

> > No it should not, GM/Ford/Toyota programs the computer chip for your car
but
> > they are not under any obligation to provide you with the ability to
> > reprogram it,
>
> Cars do not need to be initially programmed by the user (or Dealer for
> that matter) to make them work.  They work as-is, out-of-the-box.

And the DEALER software used by a DEALER is supposed to program your system
not you

> > Let me ask you this, if you cannot find out what is required to program
or
> > how to program zones in a Honeywell panel after reading the manual why
would
> > Honeywell or ANYONE trust you with software?
>
> Yes, the manual indicates that you must have an alpha keypad to program
> the zones using the Menu Mode.  But when reading I kept getting the
> impression there was a way to program them without using Menu Mode
> since I didn't have an alpha keypad.

Exactly what part of the installation manual gave you that impression?

> I think you are under the impression that I HAVE an alpha keypad.  I do
> not.  It does say "if you have an Alpha Keypad then you can use the
> Menu Mode to program your Wireless zones".  It doesn't say "if you
> don't, then you need to get an alpha keypad or use the software", so I
> kept searching for a way to program the wireless zones with a non-alph
> keypad.  It wasn't a matter of knowing how to do it, it was a matter of
> knowing if I had the proper Tools to do it.  Once I knew I didn't have
> the proper tool, I got the tool and did the job, no problem.  I just
> want to make sure the Tool required to complete the job didn't require
> purchasing additional hardware because the software wasn't available to
> me, someone perfectly competent to use it and understand the
> consequences of invalid programming, yet I wouldn't call myself a
> "Professional Dealer" per se because I'm not a Technician or Installer.

And I'm glad you aren't, god knows how well you programmed the panel