Re: Wireless Help - PLEASE!

Crash Gordon wrote:
> Welp if it was a weak signal, then minor interference would be a problem eh?
> Not enough headroom.

That's not usually how it works.

Since the system was working, and now it's not, and it's only a couple
of transmitters and they are the furthest away ......it's more likly
due to something that's changed in the premises.  The receiver has been
blocked. They moved a stove, refrigerator, are storing clothes iron in
the closet where the receiver is located, added metal pots hanging in
the kitchen over the center consol stove, added aluminum backed
insulation in the new addition, had central air conditioning installed,
are now parking the new car in the garage, and/or ....... the installer
didn't do his job of checking signal strength. I've also noticed that
some transmitters, over a long time period, will decline in their
signal output. I've seen some transmitters reduce signal output by
three points over a period of 5 to 7 years. I record the signal
strength at the time of installation. It's real handy for trouble
shooting "quirky" problems.

I'm sometimes called in by other alarm companies to do their wireless
trouble shooting, I've never had one system that had an interference
problem.

The big secret to doing excellent wireless systems is to make sure
signal strength is well above factory recomended minimums and use two
or more receivers. Problem is, if everyone did that, it would destroy
the myth that wireless alarm systems can be installed quicker than
wired systems. Easier, yes, but not necessarily quicker. If it's done
right, problems like this hardly ever happen.