Re: Compass Software

Guys, if they really cared about the security of the software they
would assign personal logins, the fact that they have 1 user login for
everyone, means its not that big a deal, at least not to them. Besides
like I said before, you dont need a login to get to that download page,
its so so amateur.

As for the software, i program also, and did PC work back then when i
first used it, its very basic software and simple to use (once you have
some basic understanding of their panel language), like some one else
said, designed for windows 3.1 probably.  Getting the right modem to
work with it was another task but figured that out easy enough,
ofcourse now you can just buy a modem with the Compass name on it . To
get compass back then we had to download it from "another" distributors
javascript "secured" login page .. LOL ...

But it does the job, and thats what counts.

IMO for a major manufacturer like, well even when it was Ademco, but
now Honeywell, it can be 100 times better.

Software is not always a priority of manufacturers though, so unless
they start subbing the programming out, which I doubt they will as
their code will then be comprimised,  we are stuck with what we gets.

Anwyay, I dont see a problem with certain clients having the software,
if they bought an Alarm panel, and want to make changes themselves - eg
- self monitored - then they buy the software and a modem, and figure
it out, heck ill show them how to use it for a charge :-)   But i have
alot of better things to do. ..

I have even set up mini central stations at security guard booths here
for gated communities, using Surguard and the same CMS software our CMS
uses, ofcourse its not cheap and takes a while to teach them how to use
it. It is used as the second CMS number, the first goes to the main CMS.