Re: Definition of Subscriber?

"R.H.Campbell" <rh.campbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:RPSdnfAGzcL2qdrenZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I don't have any particularily strong feelings one way or the other on
this
> issue of AC failures. I just can't see the need to transmit thousands of
> signals that really don't tell anyone very much of anything. There have
been
> a few very valid reasons to do so outlined in this thread, and at least
one
> person replied who personally sees a need to know when his panels may crap
> out after a long AC failure. No disagreement there; however, for me, it is
> enough to respond to low battery signals, which will come in after any AC
> failure duration. Why flood the station with thousands of useless AC
> signals, thats all. During the great ice storm of 1998, when power was out
> for weeks at a time, I can only imagine the number of AC signals received
at
> all monitoring stations, and wonder what purpose they served, since the
> whole country knew we were in a major state of emergency at the time.

I agree with Jack on this one, in the end it doesn't matter what the central
station does but I want that signal for the same reason I want a recent
closing or exit alarm signal, it gives more information that may come into
play in the future like troubleshooting or even a lawsuit. I guess its a
better safe than sorry thing.

In your scenario I couldn't tell if the customer has a low battery due to AC
loss or just that the battery is bad.

> Perhaps I don't know enough about how stations respond to all these "spam
> signals". I would agree wholeheartedly with you on your statement about a
CS
> that couldn't handle this type of mass receipt of signals being one to
> avoid. However, I have to question the wisdom of sending this flood of AC
> signals to begin with if it serves no useful purpose....
>
> RHC

The real fun is when a hurricane comes sweeping in, I can't tell you how
many trouble signals will come in from places like Puerto Rico, Florida and
of course Louisiana. Thank god for MLR-2000's :)