Re: Do YOU ACTUALLY Own Your Equipment??

Once again close but no cigar.

Most companies use and 'industrywide standard' contract which is of course a
bad idea but most do it anyway and it is always spelled out very clearly on
the front of the contract if each piece of equipment is being leased or
sold.

For more than 40 years I have leased systems and the second paragraph
plainly says the 'subscriber agrees to lease the said system'.  In the
equipment list getailed on the front of the contract the word 'leased'
appears beside every item we install.  Further down the front of the
contract it clearly says we will remove all of our leased property at the
end of the term of this agreement.

If you are buying a system it says in large bold letters CONDITIONAL SALES
AGREEMENT.

On the other hand, sales people with national firms almost always
mis-represent everything in their presentation from start to finish
meanwhile you very seldom see these tactics from local companies.  This may
vary in other areas but over the years it has remained pretty much the same
here.  Local companies have much more control over their operations is the
only answer I have for this - local companies usually have local owners who
tell employees what is or isn't acceptable.  The national firms bring in
trained sleasebags to train their sales force and they concentrate on
quantity and dollar volume instead of quality and customer satisfaction.

Every week I hear from some poor misguided soul who has been scammed by one
of the national firms.

It usually goes as follows...

DDT or BROKES or WE'RENO CABLE says they have the same thing for $19.95 per
month that I currently charge $59.95 for and they want to cancel.  You say
fine we'll be right out to take all of our equipment out and the customer
says fine.  You go out and pull everything out and wish him well.

The next day or later the same day the customer calls and is all upset
because his new company cannot do anything because I came and took
everything out.  Now they want several hundred dollars to install his free
system and $75. per month when they get done.  And he is mad at me and
blames me for his total stupidity.

Reading the fine print is good advice but the fine print does not explain
most people's scams.