Re: ASA re-visited

Subject: Re: ASA re-visited
Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms
=> Sylvain Robitaille <=  wrote:

>I think that a charter can easily be made up of a combination of
>sections from "THE GROUP'S PURPOSE", the "ORIGINAL PROPOSAL" and
>"ORIGINAL NEWGROUP MESSAGE", perhaps with a selection of the material
>from "HISTORY OF THE GROUP".  It should include pointers to both the
>"Abou ASA" and "ASA FAQ" documents, rather than repeat their content.

You would think that would be a good idea; however, the underlying problem would
still be there.  The "miscreant" in question would not adhere to any document
that was drafted by we "monkeys".  Additionally, when (if) RLB decides to grace
us with his presence again, he will want to add his input for any group charter.
Reaching a consensus is going to be hard enough without RLB, with him involved
it will be impossible.

>I currently manage the news server at Concordia University in Montreal,

Great!  You can help by ....

--> Issuing a UDP for his nym. <--   ;-)

>and am offering to set up a periodic posting of whatever text is agreed
>upon within this group as an official charter, if others agree that
>periodic posting of the charter would be a useful approach to helping
>enforce it (in practice, it helps a lot because it gives newcomers a
>chance to review the charter upon entering the group, and it give
>regulars a message to point to in cases where someone crosses the
>boundaries).

I fear it's much too late for that, friend.  But let's see what the other
regulars have to say.  A charter issued almost 9 years after the group's
creation is not going to carry much weight IMO.

--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email