Re: ASA re-visited

Frank Olson wrote:

> The Groups "Original Purpose Message" and a brief history is here:
> http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/aboutasa.htm
>
> The FAQ (or nearest thing to a Charter that we have is here:
> http://www.yoursecuritysource.com/asafaq.htm

I think that a charter can easily be made up of a combination of
sections from "THE GROUP'S PURPOSE", the "ORIGINAL PROPOSAL" and
"ORIGINAL NEWGROUP MESSAGE", perhaps with a selection of the material
from "HISTORY OF THE GROUP".  It should include pointers to both the
"Abou ASA" and "ASA FAQ" documents, rather than repeat their content.

I currently manage the news server at Concordia University in Montreal,
and am offering to set up a periodic posting of whatever text is agreed
upon within this group as an official charter, if others agree that
periodic posting of the charter would be a useful approach to helping
enforce it (in practice, it helps a lot because it gives newcomers a
chance to review the charter upon entering the group, and it give
regulars a message to point to in cases where someone crosses the
boundaries).

I currently have such periodic posting setup for several
concordia.* newsgroups (not all of which would be visible from
commercial news services) and for the can.config newsgroup, which should
be more widely available (though perhaps mostly in Canada).  The news
server I manage is reasonably well connected, via several CaNet and
UseNet-2 connected peers.

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Systems and Network analyst / Newsmaster          Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada