Re: Keeping up with Cables in new installation

R.H.Campbell wrote:
> I don't do any prewiring anymore; what I stated is in regards to full priced
> alarm systems in which I have sold the panel to the client on day one - the
> only way I sell.
>
> Back when I had the time to do prewiring, I kept the wiring list for several
> reasons. First, no one had paid me for it as you say. Second, if the client
> eventually came to me, I found that the wiring list had often disappeared
> for some inexplicable reason, which just made my job a bit longer. But
> toning doesn't take very long for anyone to do.
>
> These days, I go into a lot of new homes where the prewiring was done by a
> company where the builder has a "sweetheart" deal with  another company
> (usually an alarmco). There is never a wiring diagram there, even though the
> empty can is installed, and they have their decals etc plastered all over
> it. It seems at least locally, there is more money to be made doing
> prewiring than installing the alarm itself. Most builders do a basic prewire
> job....all doors, a couple of motions etc and charge the home buyer about
> $1000 for this !!!!!  The alarmco either did it for $200 or sometimes for
> nothing. And these builders won't allow other independant companies on site
> quoting all sorts of made up reasons why not (the truth being of course,
> their sweetheart deal with a local alarmco). Sometimes if the purchaser
> knows enought to scream like crazy, the builder will relent, but not
> often....
>
> I usually take out their can and substitute the one that comes with the
> panel. Anyone need a couple of hundred empty cans ??....:)))
>
> RHC

What to do with those???

Bird houses?

Rivet leather straps to the sides and try to start some sort of weird
brief case fad?

Screw them to the wall and use 'em for knick knack displays (or

Sell 'em as knick knack display shelves at the flea market... but glue a
bunch of macaroni or sea shells to 'em first.

If there's no lid, cover them with duct tape, line the inside with
plastic, pick up some flower seeds to go with them on your way back to
the flea market... window boxes...

Sell 'em as is on ebay... "sturdy metal can with lid..."  betcha someone
bids on 'em.

Well - that's all I could come up with off the top of my head... anyone
else?