Re: Keeping up with Cables in new installation

bhnjr@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have a number of commercial jobs coming up. They are all new
> construction.  It looks like most of the jobs will have about 15
> detectors, several keypads, several sirens,  7-8 access control units,
> and 7-8 electric locks, and a digital video recording system (10-12
> cameras)..  There will also be magnetic locks on several outside doors,
> that will be locally monitored.  In all, there will be somewhere around
> 60 cable runs.  Now I know that there are many ways that an installer
> can keep up with his cable runs, but I would just like to know how you
> would keep up with your cable runs on a simular installation, when
> working alone.  One other ingrediant; there will be about 3 months
> between running the cables and final installation.  My mind does not
> remember things too well these days.  Thank you.

Something I used to do on big jobs was to make all motion detectors
.....say tan wire.
All door contacts brown wire. etc etc along with a number list or word
tags or writing on wire. Makes it a lot easier to keep track of ,sort
out and trace wires if necessary. How the wires are marked  would
depend on the size of the job, and how many people were working on it
or if I'm not going to be working on it at all and having a sub do the
work. If you do the work, you're going to remember some of what you did
and you should have developed some pattern to your wiring. If someone
else is doing it, you'll want them to give you the most detail as they
can. Written wire list take the most time and attention but is best.