Re: Sayonara, good people

> Nothing like the smell from a fried selenium rectifier...

I recall transformers being the worst and most permeable smell.

> Heathkit had a store in Houston.  I would peruse the catalogue for hours
> unable to find anything I wanted to build.  I think the demise had a lot
> do with the lack of desireable projects.

Probably so. They needed to reinvent themselves, and get away from some
traditional product lines, such as the equipment, TVs, and high-end ham
stuff. They forgot their niche, and never knew how to take advantage of it
when times got rough.

I forgot it in my other post, but when the manufacturing the product went
from 75% of total product cost down to 20%, (cheap overseas labor and
automated processes) the writing was on the wall. FWIW, kits get amazing
prices on Ebay these days.

-John O