Re: DSC Maxsys PC 4020 Reporting Probs. UPDATE

> "Mark Leuck" <m..leuck@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >
> > "Robert L. Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Your answer was "Replace the receiver."  That was completely wrong.
> >>
> >> His problem was exactly what I said it was.  He needed to enter the
> >> codes.
> >> SIA Auto Report obviates the need for entering the data.  With CID if
you
> >> don't enter the codes the comms will fail.
> >>
> >> There's no way you will ever admit having been wrong.
> >
> > Lets look at this again, he turns on auto SIA and suddenly CID codes
work?
> > Umm no.
>
> Try real hard to understand this, Leuck.  It's not that complicated.

Correct, Auto CID refers to Contact ID format and Auto SIA refers to SIA
format

> 1.  There was nothing wrong with the receiver (the one you wanted him to
> replace).

It was a possible problem, pretty easy to test too

> 2.  The problem was in his programming.

You don't know that, he could have had MANY problems unrelated to
programming

> 3.  The reason SIA Auto Report worked is it doesn't require him to enter
the
> codes.

Yes for SIA reporting not Contact ID which is what he was using

> 4.

Thank you

> 5.  The reason CID did not work was he did not enter the codes (which,
must
> be entered like they are in the 832).

Wrong, it's a v3.3 remember? That panel supports auto Contact ID which he
said was enabled

> 6.  There was nothing wrong with the receiver (in case you missed #1).

Again we still don't know that (in case you missed #1)

> > You stated you don't know much about
> > DSC well I DO and ...
>
> And yet you were completely wrong on this very simple problem.  In fact,
you
> advised the gentleman to replace a receiver which cost thousands of
dollars
> when the problem was totally unrelated to the receiver.

When did I say replace the receiver? I stated the receiver could have been a
problem, it is a pretty old one you know...or maybe you didn't

> So much for how
> much you DO know.

"Actually, I was referring to "no code" rather than a wrong code programmed.
In the case of a wrong code, we agree.  If no code has been programmed some
(most?) receivers will not give a kiss-off.  The panel will keep trying
until it enters a trouble mode."

or this

"I've seen similar behavior when a Power832 was set up without zone codes.
The panel kept trying but the receiver wouldn't give the kissoff"

Neither scenario is possible with either a 4020 or 832, without zone codes
the 832 and pre v3.3's will not either, v3.3 and above will not either
unless auto CID is enabled. Even if you program the zone codes and get them
WRONG either panel will still send properly and still receive the proper
kissoff

> I recalled that DSC makes you enter the CID values in the
> 832 and suggested that the Maxsys might have the same requirement.

And I asked what version he had since that isn't required on 3.3 and above
panels, had you done that first your answer might have been diff...wait I
forgot you don't know much about that panel

>  It
> sounded like a programming issue from the start and it apparently was just
> that.

No it sounded like a phone problem or bad panel or possibly a receiver
issue, for all we know he may not have ever set it for Contact ID in the
first place

> It sure as jiminex wasn't a receiver issue.

Blaming Jiminex for your bad advice will get you nowhere

> Feel free to continue telling us how much you "DO" know about DSC.

Thank you I will since I deal with them quite often, good thing for your
customers you haven't sold a 4020 "in ages"