Re: Integrating Alarm Wiring Into A New Home

Inline...

"mwazowski" <mwazowski1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message =
> Crash,
>=20
> Can you clarify some of your abbrevations?
>=20
> 2 pirs? =3D Motion?? If so, where should they be located?
(yes, PIR- Passive Infrared =3D motion detector)
Locations...usually in corners looking into the home so not looking at =
window treatments (drapes etc) that heat up from the sun.

> 1 GB?  I assume glass breakage.... why just the MBR, upstaire?
Yes, GB=3Dglassbreak. I like one in the MBR so you can have it armed and =
still walk around the room. Optionally...I like them in every room.

> OHDs?
Over Head Doors (the door your car drives through to enter the garage)

>=20
> Glass breaks will cover more than one window?
Yes, usually 25-30' coverage (acoustic type)...but not around corners, =
or through closed doors...also window treatments (drapes, shutters etc) =
will effect their range.

>=20
> Also should they be using cat5 for all these runs?

NO!
I use 22/4 stranded (or solid) for doors/windows/devices.
16/4 or 16/2 firewire for keypad, siren, smokes, power.

> As there will be no sensors installed by the builder where the should
> the wires terminate until sensors/keypads are installed?

I usually leave an inch sticking out of the drywall. Some companies like =
recessed contacts on windows, they don't work for me very well out here =
so I use small surface mounted ones...so we leave a stub of wire =
sticking up.

>=20
> I believe it costs an extra $100 to wire in the smokes.  Is that worth
> it?

Yes. It's a little high (depending on how many) but yes. You'd spend =
more trying to run it later...if its even possible...especially on your =
two story home it'd be difficult.