Re: Inspection Technicians

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:44:16 -0600, "JW" <golf4nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Most of our accounts are within 75 miles. We currently have inspections
>handled by our service technicians (they're considered low-priority service
>calls).  I know some companies have the inspections done by different
>technicians (who may not be able to do much in the way of handling any
>problems if the arise) and don't get the opportunity to get much
>cross-training unless promoted. I think a case can be made for doing things
>either way... what are you doing and what do you wish you'd done
>differently?
>
>Thanks!

We recently switched from having dedicated fire alarm inspectors to
having regular service techs handle them as part of their workload.
As you said, a case can be made either way.  Dedicated inspectors will
improve day-to-day efficiency at the expense of flexibility. According
to "management", cross training makes people more "valuable," -
whatever that means. Some people may prefer job variety while some may
want the regularity of knowing what they're doing each day.  I don't
know if way is any better than the other.  The same case can be made
for alarm runners, installtion only techs, etc.