Inspection Technicians

Most of our accounts are within 75 miles. We currently have inspections
handled by our service technicians (they're considered low-priority service
calls).  I know some companies have the inspections done by different
technicians (who may not be able to do much in the way of handling any
problems if the arise) and don't get the opportunity to get much
cross-training unless promoted. I think a case can be made for doing things
either way... what are you doing and what do you wish you'd done
differently?

Thanks!