Re: NFPA 730 & 731 Pass

<securitymission@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1118755046.944850.45270@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Bob,
>
> What you have said is mostly true, but I can assure you, where I live
> at the county level a plans examination for a simple burglar alarm is
> required under certain conditions.  Yes, they say they look at wiring
> issues, installation of same.  They do use NEC, for sure, and they
> never say they are looking at placement of detectors, type of sensors,
> etc., only to make sure the wiring is installed to code. In most
instances, at this time they only require that you fill out a
> green card with the permit fee attached when doing a simple burglar
> alarm system, especially in retrofit situations.  They do come out and
> inspect your work, however.  But, when there's an architect, EE, and
> blueprints involved, which also means fire, they will often require the
> burglar alarm, CCTV, etc. be included on the print.  I'm sure you've
> run into this as well.

We have 104 cities in the tri-county area, down here, and most, plus their
respective county, have a permit requirement much as you have discribed.
Some are more serious than others about their inspections and some take the
money but there is no inspection. Out of the total number of cities, only
one requires plans, which are kept, and one other reviews the prints but
they make sure they are given back because of the liability. The others
don't want to see them at all.

 Residential is not an issue and may never be in
> the foreseeable future, but that does not mean it could not change in
> the distant future.

We need to permit everything, including residential.

> I believe that when these building departments are armed with a
> code/standard document like NFPA 731, they will move the burglar alarm
> installation process to the plans examination level.  The plans
> examiner must have a national code to follow, and this document, for
> good or bad, will give them that, don't you think?

Only if the industry allows it. We, the Association, had to go to the
Attorney Generals office to deal with the public records situation on
security. Because of 9/11 and after the AG's decision there is no document
that deals with security that shall become public record in Florida.

Bob W.