Re: NFPA 730 & 731 Pass

Where I'm from, you submut three sets of plans, all of which are
stamped if approved.  Two of them go back to you and the other stays at
the county level.  Every county in this area of Ohio does this, as they
must have a copy on file.  Are you sure they give all copies back?

For example, when I was back out in the field before going back to
writing full time last October (I worked for a large electrical
contractor as a project manager after resigning from SDM in the fall of
2000), I was involved in the engineering of an addressable fire and
security system in a large home center store.  Because this was a new
store there was a master permit number on the job, so when I did the
blueprints, both security and fire had to be on the plans.  When I
called the county involved the other day to ask about accessiblity to
approved prints, I was told that anyone with a written request could
see any plan they have, banks or otherwise.  When I asked if they
verified identity, the answer was, NO.

It's not a big deal now, but it never is until people discover the
code, the money making potential of that code, and they beat the public
down little at a time until they are able to fully implement that code.

Where are you from, county and state would be fine.  Where I'm from,
you can't run a speaker wire without a permit.  If it's a job that
involves fire and you're installing security as well, the security will
be on the print.  Even speakers, microphones, you name it.  Pretty much
anything with a wire will be on that print when it involves a job that
requires a master permit.

All this code will do is institutionalize the plans examination process
where there wasn't any.  Why? Because there'se a code to hang their hat
on, like 72 and 101, 13, 10, etc., etc., etc.  Only, security is a
dangerous animal to cage by requiring uniform equipment and
installation.  This is my personal opinion, however.