Re: Wireless - Simon 3 or Visonic Powermax Plus

"Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:28:05 -0700, Karl Magnus
> <magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Robert L. Bass wrote:
>>

>> > When I worked in Connecticut I preferred to install the master control
>> > panel
>> > in the basement.  In Florida there are almost no basements so people
>> > often
>> > install the panel in a laundry or utility room.  Some techs put them in
>> > the
>> > garage but that's not a good idea -- too easy to defeat.

I'll bet you put the siren right next to the control panel too...  And mount
the keypad on the outside wall of the closet (or right under the panel)...

>> ??? -- Don't FBI statistics show that MOST residential burglary/robbery
>> suspects enter through the front door? The second favorite entry was, if
>>   I'm not mistaken, the back sliding glass door.
>
> True, but proper system design doesn't stop at the most common
> points of entry.  You want to design a system that is likely to
> detect any reasonably feasible entry and is unlikely to be easily
> defeated.

Ergo, hiding the panel under the bed (like Tom does) would be good!!  :-))

> Some time ago I read another FBI statistic.  Most burglaries
> don't involve "bresaking and entering" at all.  The thief simply
> walks in through an unl;ocked door.  If one follows your logic
> above it isn't necessary to install any alarm at all.  *Most*
> thieves will be stopped by a locked door.

Heh...  Right...  In a "post 911" society, "most" people leave their doors
unlocked...  I figure this is another one of those "statistics" you "invent"
and decide to post whenever the mood strikes...

>> Now, if this is true, how does the panel being located in the garage
>> make it "too easy to defeat" in comparison to the laundry room/pantry?
>
> For one thing, a panel in the garage is more likely to be seen by
> neighborhood kids, especially if you have children of your own.
> Also, many folks don't have curtains on the garage window.  I've
> seen "professional" installations where the panel was in plain
> view of a garage window.

"Many folks don't have curtains on the garage window"...  That's because
most use blinds...  Curtains tend to get dusty and are harder to clean.

>> It seems that the laundry room/pantry is just as accessible.
>
> If I were to select the laundry room, I'd most likely opt for a
> location inside the closet.  Where I worked for many years
> (southern New England) most homes had basements.  I prefer a
> concealed basement location whenever possible.

Under the bed is best...

>> This "too easy to defeat" paranoia is coming from people
>>  who think about alarm installation too much without
>> actually doing it.
>
> I've been in the trade for more than 28 years.  Although I no
> longer install for a living, I have installed and/or serviced
> thousands of security systems over the years.

You no longer install for a living??  Then you're no longer "in the trade".
It would be far more accurate to say you were "in the trade" for 15 years
(according to your Connecticut State Licensing info) and are now "retired"
(or is that "retreaded"??)...  And we know all about the Brinks panels you
*still* "service" in Florida...  ;-))