Re: Wireless - Simon 3 or Visonic Powermax Plus

> an alarm panel should have a section(the main
> board) in a place not easily accessible, a remote
> keypad and a siren that is as far as it can be from the main panel...

You're making too much sense.  Knock it off!  :^)

> one thing i noticed when i was installing wireles
> system is that many zone could have been
> hardwired and just some zone needed wireless...

True.  Depending on the skill level of the technician or DIYer, the same job
might wind up completely hard-wired, totally wireless or anywhere in
between.  By selecting a hybrid (wired + wireless capable) system you leave
your options open.

> My siren is in the attic, my main panel some-
> where in the basement, in a closet wich have
> a big sofa in front of it..(concealed closet)..

When I worked in Connecticut I preferred to install the master control panel
in the basement.  In Florida there are almost no basements so people often
install the panel in a laundry or utility room.  Some techs put them in the
garage but that's not a good idea -- too easy to defeat.

Older homes in New England often had over-sized louvers at each end of the
attic.  We used to install a big, 40-Watt horn just inside and facing toward
the louver.  The sound could be heard for several blocks but the speaker was
concealed from view.  If that wasn't doable I'd place the horn on the
outside wall just below the peak of the roof.

Here's a trick you can use for the interior siren if the home has aluminum
HVAC ducts.  Mount a 40-Watt horn face-down, directly to the top of the cold
air return plenum.  Don't cut any holes in the plenum though.  Either
silicone or screw the face of the horn to the plenum.  The sound will
reverberate throughout even a fairly large home.

Note: ***NEVER*** place the siren or any alarm system wiring inside the
ducts.  That's a major no-no.

> A simon is only good to place in a hotel room or such thing...

Place it on top of the hotel door frame.  Attach a string to the knob.  When
the thief breaks in the Simon will nail him.  :^)

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics