Re: To Julian From OP: Re: CO Detector Location Question

>> Why do you feel that a location into an outlet near the floor is to be
>> avoided ?  (I'm just trying to learn)
>
> CO is slightly lighter than air, so where do you think would be the
> best place to detect it? That's right, no at outlet level, but higher
> on the wall or on the ceiling (as in the dual smoke/CO detectors).

Actually, CO mixes readily with air and the mixture is so close to the
density of air that stratification is not a factor.  However, being a
product of combustion, it is usually warmer than air and tends to
rise.  A detector located near the floor may take significantly longer
to respond than one at the prescribed height of 5' above the floor.

"Mount the CM-15/15A at the height that people breathe--four to five
feet above the floor. Mount the unit vertically on a wall,
so the information on the front of the CM-15/15A can be read in a
normal manner. The word TOP on the internal cover
indicates the normal mounting position of the detector." -- Macurco

>If there is a small amount of CO (normail with most homes), it can and
>will easily mix with the surrounding air, especially if there is air
>movement (eg. breeze from open window). If there is a larger
>concentration of CO (due to faulty heating/cooking equipment), it will
>rise to the ceiling and build up, which is why you want a detector
>placed high on the wall or on the ceiling.

Not quite right.  CO in any quantity will mix readily with air.
Proper placement is 5 feet from the floor.

>>Any thoughts on the single chirp ?
>>
>>Are First Alert CO detectors "better" ?

I've used Macurco detectors for many years.  They perform well.  I
never used First Alert so I can't say for certain about them.

>And I have to wonder about companies who manufacture CO detectors that
>plug into AC outlets. They are giving people a false sense of
>security, since the units likely won't trip until the amount of CO is
>fatal to a person.

If the unit carries the UL listing it has been tested and certified to
detect CO and warn occupants early enough to provide a reasonable
degree of protection.  There's no lesser standard for 110VAC models.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
http://www.BassBUrglarAlarms.com//category_255.htm