Re: UL Required to get License

<robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1133842995.893933.305380@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In at least some locations they are not.  One of my clients is a
> condominium complex in Miami.  They saved over $50,000 off the cost of
> having an alarm company install commercial fire alarm systems in three
> buildings by purchasing the hardware online and having an electrician
> install it.

What does that have to do with this thread? No body gives a rat's ass where
equipment is purchased as long as it was UL listed. What has changed in
Miami, is that now, that electrician cannot install that fire alarm system
unless he is a UL listed installation company. He cannot even take it in for
permitting and plan review unless he is listed.

> However, they still had to contract with a licensed fire alarm company
> to do the inspections.

First you said the electrician, now you say a fire alarm company, which is
it? Secondly, who ever it is now needs to be a UL listed company. You better
catch up before you post Robert.  As usual, you post without knowing what
you are taking about or you're posting ancient history.

>If they had a licensed engineer available, he
> could also have done the inspections.

Not entirely true

>However, even with the
> ridiculous hourly rates they're paying the alarm company to inspect the
> system,

Bahhaahahahaha!!!! Wait until you see what they will be paying now that UL
is mandated. Not only will you have the alarm company cost but they will
have all of the UL fees and higher monitoring fees because they now have to
have runner service on all systems, as well. No choice, no alternative, no
exemption unless of course it is a government building. Just big
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$'s to everyone involved.

 >the savings on monitoring fees by going direct with a UL
> monitoring center still saves them nearly 50% on the recurring fees.

Boy are you out of it. You don't know about having to have a contract, for
not only monitoring, but service as well, in place before the CO? You cannot
do that by going direct to a cheapy monitoring center somewhere. Not only
that, but in these effected areas the AHJ's have a list of only those
companies and central stations  that they except. This is a restraint of
trade and prevents a State licensed contractor from working within his/her
own trade. Now you see why I am not a fan of UL and what they are creating.
This movement has started in Florida but has been relayed to us out of UL
Illinois office that this is just the tip to the iceberg. They not only what
the fire industry but that they are most interested in the burg industry on
a national basis. $$$$$$$$ signs for membership in their eyes. That also has
started in Florida with an ordinance in Martin County to only install UL
systems in even residential. "GEE, where are we going to hang this big ugly
ass UL bell on your multi million dollar home, sir?" You need not post
unless you know what you are talking about Robert. You've been in Brazil to
long, the world is passing you by!