Re: UL Required to get License

Bob Worthy said:

>This movement has started in Florida but has been relayed to us out of UL
>Illinois office that this is just the tip to the iceberg. They not only what
>the fire industry but that they are most interested in the burg industry on
>a national basis. $$$$$$$$ signs for membership in their eyes. That also has
>started in Florida with an ordinance in Martin County to only install UL
>systems in even residential. "GEE, where are we going to hang this big ugly
>ass UL bell on your multi million dollar home, sir?"

UL has indeed been pushing fire alarm certification, and they're in bed
with the NFPA on this.  The NFPA writes standards that talk about third
party certification, and guess who's in line to offer that service?

The UL burglar alarm certificate program has been going downhill for years,
since the insurance industry no longer cares about certificates except for
really high risks.  The number of burglar alarm certificates is only a tiny
fraction of what it once was.  Another reason why UL is pushing fire
certificates.

UL used to proudly state that it was a "not for profit" organization,
dedicated to protecting the public.  Now, it's a for-profit business,
trying to sell its services just like everybody else.