Re: Remote install, no AC

James Barnes wrote:
> I was the one asking how to hook up somethinng like this a while back.  I
> finaly decided to use a vista 20p and wire the dc power in to the battery
> terminals.  I also wired the neg side of the battery into one of the AC
> power terminals. "to allow the panel to power up if it lost all dc power to
> it".   This worked,  but only lasted for a few months
>
>  :(      Just today I was called back because the panel had died.  When I
> looked at the panel I found a component on the board had smoked.  I am not
> sure if it died because of the way it was hooked up or if something else
> caused it.

If you're going to try and power your equipment this way (using a 12VDC
source) use another battery on the system's battery terminals and keep
them separate.  I've had a Mircom 2000 series intercom system running
with 14VDC on the AC input terminals for years.  The customer wanted the
intercom to function in a power failure so I used an Altronix power
supply coupled to a 12AH gel cell.