Re: Remote install, no AC

Crash Gordon wrote:
> Got a client that wants 10 construction storage trailers protected...no
> power anywhere nearby. I remember some discussions abt running panels by
> inputing DC to the AC power terms. I really don't wanna try frying a Vista
> 10P to see if it works or not.
>
> I guess they're thinking of wanting to run system off a truck battery for as
> long as it will last. I had mickey rigging stuff, so any suggestions??

Feeding DC into the AC inputs shouldn't fry anything, as long as the
voltage isn't too high.  It may not work, if the alarm pulls any kind of
timing off the 60Hz feed or steps the voltage up via transformer.  If
it's 12VDC, you could always try powering it via the backup-battery
hookup - just make sure to disable the power-loss alarm.

Another option would be a DC-AC power inverter, available from most any
autoparts and auto-accessories stores, to give you 120VAC to power the
thing "normally".  Shouldn't need anything very high-powered.

You could also consider using a car-alarm system, which of course, is
designed to work on 12VDC.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0550-2, 12/14/2005
Tested on: 12/15/2005 12:17:27 AM