Re: Interfacing alarm panel to satellite phone

Okitoki wrote:
> Thanks Jim.. That's really helpful. But could you please be a bit more
> specific? Such as what type of water resistant sprey do you use? What
> is the code of the wires used? What type of PE's used? Brands, names,
> codes etc...

Well, you go to the electronic supply store and you ask them for
waterproof spray for printed circuit boards.

Also, you go to the boating supply store and ask them where the marine
wire is located. They only sell wire for boats and usually have an
ample supply of various types. There should be a Boat US or a West
Marine, somewhere near you, if you're in the US and near recreational
boating areas

Photo electric beams come in all shapes and sizes. I've used Optex and
New Line. But I don't remember the exact model numbers. Just go to a
manufacturers web site and pick a unit that will fit in your
application. I don't think that there would be that much difference
between manufacturers, to matter.

> On the other hand you mentioned the US Coast Guard regulations. Do you
> know where I can get a copy of this?

Any mention I've ever seen refers to a set of guidelines set up by an
organization that I think is called the National Yachting Association
or some such name. It's been a long time since I had to refer to them
so I don't remember the details. They have a website, so a Google
search will get you there eventually. Try marine specifications or
marine wiring regulations, You'll find it pretty quick. I know I've
seen some books available with instructions for boat wiring too. Try
Amazon. Try calling Sure Action too. I'm sure they can offer you some
suggestions.

> And more importantly is there any
> international standards/regulations for hooking up security systems in
> boats. The ISPS code is for ships. I wasn't able to find anything under
> this code for smaller boats. But could there be standards and/or
> regulations for smaller boats?

I never did anything internationally, so if there is anything
available, I'm not aware of it.

Keep in mind that I've been boating and in the alarm industry for over
30 years. A unique combination that puts me in a position that few
alarm installers get to experience. So much of this information, to me,
after all these years, is just common sense and certainly much of it is
simply routine for me. The alarm installer without the boating
experience would never even think of some of the things required to
install an alarm in a boat. And it's likewise for the boat owner who
doesn't have the alarm experience also.

All of the information you need is easily available on line.
The experience and intuition......... thats another matter.