Re: Wireless Motion Detector Recommendations...

"Crash Gordon®" <NONE@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>How are you dealing with; birds, cats, crawly thingies, tree branches that
>are heated by the sun, reflections from objects nearby...etc.

Thanks for the response Crash. You really hit the nail on the head here as I
presume it is the heat and IR/UV lights that are triggering my falsing. I
need to state here I am not an alarm professional like you guys. I did
install a Caddx NX8E and all wireless door/window sensors and two smokes and
have all of it iterfaced to my Stargate. I did all of the programming also
but need some help from you guys here. Anyhow, the critters do trigger the
PIR's - especially the cats and raccoons.

>Instead of dumbing-down stuff that is cheap or not designed for the job,
>why not buy detectors that are specifically designed for exterior?

Again, you are correct it is just that I didn't want to spend 100 bucks X 6
for my outdoor PIR's. I had been looking at pet immune IR/Wireless detectors
but they were too expensive. Therefore, I was trying to do the hobbiest
thing and try to filter the IR/UV to see if that helps. You know how
hobbiests are? Duct tape, some wire and a glue gun we can get anything to
work.

>btw, the Hawkeye says it's indoor only, the EagleEye is outdoor, but to
>expect a 25 $ (the EagelEye) pir to perform well outside is being very
>optimistic.

I mis-typed that with my earlier post. I have the grey outdoor Eagle Eye
PIR's as pictured here: http://www.x10.com/products/x10_ms14a.htm

BTW, I used the original MS12A indoor motion sensors outdoors of my previous
home for about four year and never had a problem with them.

Well, I appreciate your inputs here guys, it is quite refreshing to pick
your experienced minds over tech-knowledge and not bickering and rants about
Mr. Bass.  I will still try my UV filter experiment and post the results
here. Mind you, I realize this would NEVER be acceptable for the
professional installer so please go easy on me. It's my first time!