Wireless Motion Detector Recommendations...

I'm looking at the DSC and Ademco wireless motion detectors, but they seem
pretty expensive  ($80-$150). Is this what I should expect to pay or is
there a decent alternative for a bit less that's compatible with a DSC 864?

Thanks.

BTW, what does PIR stand for and why are some detectors PIR and some not?