Re: Far Side Chat -- Fire Alarm Code Issue

> In my experience the alarm wiring is
> rarely questioned or even looked at.

Needless to say, your experience and mine are from different locations.  It
should come as no surprise that we differ.

> It falls into the same category as Cat 5,
> telephone, and TV cable wiring...

All of which are supposed to be permitted, inspected and approved (or not)
where I worked.

> All "low priority" stuff.  What the inspector
> looks for is proper placement of the 110VAC
> smoke alarms and that's about as far as he
> goes with anything to do with "alarms".

In most town is CT any current carrying conductors, even including coax
antenna leads were subject to inspection by the AHJ.  Some towns were
stricter than others.  Some places didn't care about anything carrying less
than 50 Volts.  Others required a permit and inspection for every piece of
copper you installed -- hint: more permit fees.  :^)

> Inspectors here don't even inquire what the
> alarm wiring's for.  We run 18-5 fire cable to
> the smoke alarm locations on every pre-wire...

Presumably you leave the 18-gauge outside the octo-boxes until you're ready
to do the takeover, yes?

> then, when the homeowner elects to install
> his security system we can replace the 110VAC units with supervised 12VDC
> photo-electric ones if the customer so desires.
> This, of course is done with the "blessing" of
> the AHJ, but even if we didn't have it, I
> seriously doubt any would complain as what
> we're providing far exceeds the 110V "cheapies".

I brought that up with an inspector once when the client only wanted one
system smoke in an older home.  The inspector insisted that if we put in a
single smoke we must install the whole kit and caboodle per NFPA standards.
The homeowner declined any smoke protection at all rather than pay for a
major project.  That particular inspector also had a habit of refusing to
accept fire/burg combo panels on residences.  He said that he was worried
the homeowner might decide to take the panel with him when he sells, leaving
the smokes inoperable.  That was Windsor, CT.  There was nothing we could do
but install a separate, small FACP next to the burglar alarm control panel.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics