Re: X10 Problems

to be cut off, or it would lose its
character as member! For every member must be quite willing to perish for
the body, for which alone the whole is.

477. It is false that we are worthy of the love of others; it is unfair that
we should desire it. If we were born reasonable and impartial, knowing
ourselves and others, we should not give this bias to our will. However, we
are born with it; therefore born unjust, for all tends to self. This is
contrary to all order. We must consider the general good; and the propensity
to self is the beginning of all disorder, in war, in politics, in economy,
and in the particular body of man. The will is therefore depraved.

If the members of natural and civil communities tend towards the weal of the
body, the communities themselves ought to look to another more general body
of which they are members. We ought, therefore, to look to the whole. We
are, therefore, born unjust and depraved.

478. When we want to think of God, is there nothing which turns us away, and
tempts us to think of something else? All this is bad, and is born in us.

479. If