Re: M.I'5`Persecution . w ho knows ab out it ?

him. I have been
deceived; still fewer study it than geometry. It is only from the want of
knowing how to study this that we seek the other studies. But is it not that
even here is not the knowledge which man should have and that for the
purpose of happiness it is better for him not to know himself.?

145. One thought alone occupies us; we cannot think of two things at the
same time. This is lucky for us according to the world, not according to
God.

146. Man is obviously made to think. It is his whole dignity and his whole
merit; and his whole duty is to think as he ought. Now, the order of thought
is to begin with self, and with its Author and its end.

Now, of what does the world think? Never of this, but of dancing, playing
the lute, singing, making verses, running at the ring, etc., fighting,
making oneself king, without thinking what it is to be a king and what to be
a man.

147. We do not content ourselves with the life we have in ourselves and in
our own being; we desire to live an imaginary life in the mind of others,
and for this purpose we endeavour to shine. We labour unceasingly to adorn
and preserve this imaginary existence and neglect the real. And if we
possess calmness, or generosity, or truthfulness, we are eager to make it
known, so as to attach these virtues to that imaginary existence. We would
rather separate them from ourselves to join them to it; and we would
willingly be cowards in order to acquire the reputation of being brave. A
great proof of the nothingness of our being, not to be satisfied with the
one without the other, and to renounce the one for the other! For he would
be infamous who